Thursday 25 November 2010

Snow showers at Minsmere

Finally today made my pilgrimage to my old stamping ground at Minsmere.  Sunny but freezing cold.

Walked down to the shore via the central path.  The reserve is stunning with evidence of lots of management work making the site look better than ever.  Hoards of duck present the greater majority being Teal and Shoveler.  Distant gulls held at least two Caspian Gulls and a Yellow-legged Gull.



Reaching the shore we were able to see a flock of 26 Bewick's Swans standing still facing the bitter wind.  I was also please to see three of the Polish Konik horses grazing the reedbeds.  I was responsible for bringing the first of these hardy animals to the UK.

The day was spent with my dear friend David Hosking and we later bumped into other pals Steve Piotrowski, John Grant, Paul Gowen and Eric Patrick.

After a lunch at the Minsmere restaurant we fled for cover as the snow finally arived.

No comments:

Post a Comment