Tuesday 9 November 2010

Nothing but Titmice


I went down to WWT National Wetland Centre in the vain hope of seeing the Yellow-browed Warbler which was located yesterday.  Extremely strong wind meant that passerines were keeping really low so I failed to find my quarry.  I did see a couple of Kingfishers and sizeable flocks of Wigeon, Shoveler and Teal.

Walking around the wooded areas the most obvious species was Long-tailed Tits with at least two groups feeding high up in the trees. This species seems to have done very well this year with several large flocks seen on most days in the field.  I have also noticed large numbers of Great, Blue and Coal Tits.  Blues especially seem to have had a fantastic breeding season.  This morning I took time out to carefully count all the Blue Tits around my feeders and in the garden and managed a creditable 42.

No comments:

Post a Comment