Friday 13 September 2013

Spreading The Net

With a cloudy night I was optimistic this morning of finding more migrants in our area.  I walked further than in previous days and in different places.  The weather was lovely but with a strongish breeze from the west.

Male Common Redstart

Female Common Redstart

It was obvious right away that there were Common Redstarts and Pied Flycatchers everywhere as well as lots of Willow Warblers and Blackcaps.  I managed to find one Garden Warbler and a Whinchat.

Whinchat
Residents were also noted and included 4 Woodlarks and up to 60 Rock Sparrows.  One of the latter posed nicely on wires in our garden.

Rock Sparrow
At lunch time I looked around for insects again and found Grayling, Cleopatras, Clouded Yellow and what I am sure is a Chapman's Blue on our buddleia.

Grayling
Chapman's Blue
After lunch I walked down below our house to pick some blackberries for a dinner time pie.  Bee-eaters were passing over all the time and I found a juvenile Woodchat Shrike and a juvenile Red-backed Shrike.  A Short-toed Eagle also passed over.

Juvenile Woodchat Shrike
It is hard but enjoyable work but with effort migrants can be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment