Wednesday 28 September 2011

Declining species

Taking a trip through the local vineyards this afternoon I was pleased to find a Southern Grey Shrike sitting on a dead tree in a place where I did expect to see it.  When I first came to this area 10 years ago there were at least 6 pairs in the area.  Now I can only find the one.  Birds are generally so numerous here that any decline can be hard to spot.  This species does seem to be in trouble here but why.  Insects are not in short supply but maybe the pesticides used in wine production are having some long term effect.

Southern Grey Shrike
Earlier in the day I sat in the garden looking for birds.  I was struck by how many Cirl Buntings and Woodlarks were singing their hearts out.  Having been absent for a week or so it was good to see 3 Rock Sparrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment