Monday 13 January 2014

Exploring Dinefwr

There have been reports of Bramblings at Penlan Park so I began there.  My second effort and still no luck.  Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Red Kite


I pressed on and parked near the entrance to the boardwalk in Dinefwr Park.  Immediately I was aware of a pair of Ravens "kronking" loudly overhead and then 3 splendid Red Kites soared overhead. I walked on through the boardwalk but found little of interest until I almost reached the mill pond.  A pair of Green Woodpeckers appeared and called noisily.  This species is becoming uncommon in this part of Wales.

Great White Egret


I walked round to the hide in Castle Woods and scanned Dinefwr Ponds.  Immediately I picked up a Great White Egret standing motionless by the furthest pool.  I know one of this species was seen here before Christmas but this is the first time I have seen this increasing species here.  Sadly it was too far away for a photograph. There were also 110 Wigeon, 40 Mallard, 40 Teal, 11 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, Pintail and 44 Coot.  On my way back home a Sparrowhawk dashed across the road at Peny Banc.

No comments:

Post a Comment