Sunday 10 November 2013

November WEBS Count and More



Rook

The WEBS Count started at 10am so I set off at 9am.  As I passed Cothybridge I was amazed to see Rooks back on their nests and beginning the pairing up ritual.  Normally I would expect to see this behaviour in late December.



Male Red-breasted Merganser

It was a glorious day with tremendous light.  I arrived at Kidwelly Quay and took up my position.  The tide was rising and not expected to be very high.  I quickly began counting the commoner species and then noticed a superb male Red-breasted Merganser right in front of the Quay.  There were quite a few photographers around so the bird got well documented.  My count today was a bit difficult as 2 Peregrines and a ring-tail Hen Harrier caused the birds to move around in panic quite a bit.  The totals were11 Greenshank, 301 Dunlin, 375 Redshank, 27 Snipe, 70 Lapwing, 900 Golden Plover, 750 Oystercatcher, 1 Spotted Redshank, 70 Curlew, 72 Teal, 8 Red-breasted Merganser, 30 Pintail, 39 Brent Goose, 1 Shelduck, 2 Little Egret and 19 Cormorant.



Red Kite -resting

On the way home I stopped near Dryslwyn to photograph a Red Kite and then moved on to Cilsarn Bridge where I found at least 28 Whooper Swans and a female Goosander in the river. I should also mention I saw a Red Admiral butterfly today in warm sunshine - most unseasonal but very welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment