Tuesday 4 January 2011

High altitude visitor at last

After a quick shopping trip to Olonzac market we returned as the sun appeared.
I immediately set off for Minerve for yet another attempt for Alpine Accentors.

As I got out of the car in the bottom of the gorge the usual plethora of Blackcaps and Sardinian Warblers were all around me and two Blue Rock Thrushes flew overhead.



I pressed on along the path at the bottom of the cliffs, a route I had followed on all my previous visits.  Then suddenly a bird popped up on to the rocky ledges by my side.  Bingo! A superb Alpine Accentor.  Even though the sun was out the bird frustratingly kept in the shadows making photography tricky.  I kept at it for some time and finally the bird flew up onto a wall in the sunshine.  Sod's Law I could get close but was looking straight into the sun.  Ah well I caught up with one of these gorgeous birds at last.  Finding them in winter beats walking miles up to high altitude in the Pyrennees in summer.



I also checked out a Bonelli's Eagle site but no activity yet.  I did see two bees and a grasshopper in the midday sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment