Sunday 30 January 2011

Another splendid day on the Carmarthenshire Coast

The bright but very cold weather persists even to the extent that considerable icing was visible on the estuaries today.

I started at The Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, Llanelli but everywhere was completely frozen.  Mitigation for this was meeting Wendell Thomas, Barry & Sandra Stewart and others for a hot cup of coffee.

I moved on to Sandy Water Park hoping to see the Bittern still there at 10am this morning.  I did not see the Bittern but did spot an adult Mediterranean Gull amongst hundreds of gulls getting fed by the public.  There were also many obliging ducks especially Gadwall posing for the camera.



I next tried the road to Pembrey Airfield where I found an obliging close Mistle Thrush and even closer group of Snipe.  Onward to Kidwelly Quay where there were hundreds of Redshank and Dunlin and good numbers of Teal. Scanning down the river I could make out thousands of Oystercatchers with smaller numbers of Black-tailed Godwits and Curlew.  A lone Greenshank flew by as well.





I checked out the Sewerage Works where amongst the many Reed Buntings and Chaffinches there were 2 Chiffchaffs and a Goldcrest.

I finished up at Ferryside but still could not find the elusive Avocet.

A good day out which did not quite make up for a defeat by Australia in the One Day Cricket International or Andy Murray once again falling at the final hurdle.

No comments:

Post a Comment