Saturday 20 July 2013

Still Close to Home

With the continuing heat I stayed close to home and was rewarded first thing by a Weasel running across my garden.  This the first time I have seen this species for a number of years.  Later I checked out the numerous insects feeding on our lavender bushes. I was delighted to find a superb Broad-bordered Bee Hawk Moth.  Such a little jewel but difficult to photograph.

Broad-bordered Bee Hawk Moth
The Cicada chorus is incessant everywhere just now and walking through on of our rose arches I came face to face with this chap.

Cicada
As I was watching the insects a shrill call erupted overhead and our local pair of Short-toed eagles appeared posturing to each other.  Sadly they were very back lit so the photograph does not do the occasion justice.

Short-toed Eagles
This afternoon whilst listening to Test Match Special and our total domination of the Australians I picked up our first real autumn migrant this year when a young male Redstart joined the Black Redstarts and a Subalpine Warbler in the garden.

Young male Redstart
I must confess I spent a lot of time thinking about John my brother who is seven years my senior.  He was taken seriously ill this week and is currently in hospital on a life support machine.  I hope he makes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment