Saturday 4 May 2013

Closer To Home

I had lots of grass cutting to do today so was going to be in the garden most of the time.  Early on there were lots of passerines in the garden.  Most were Willow Warblers but also a Spotted Flycatcher, a male and female Pied Flycatcher and a female Common Redstart.

Willow Warbler
After the hard work was done and lunch taken I decided to check out the local vineyards and it was quite productive. I started first at the section below Cesseras and immediately discovered 12 gorgeous Bee-eaters feeding and perching on wires.  I also located a Woodchat Shrike, Red-backed Shrike and heard a Quail calling.  Finishing off this section 3 Honey Buzzards flew north.

One of the 12 Bee-eaters
I then crossed the road to the section below Azillanet and found two more Woodchat Shrikes and heard another Quail.  I also photographed a Fan-tailed Warbler (Zitting Cisticola) sitting up and for once quite silent.

Fan-tailed Warbler
Finally enjoying supper on our front terrace we watched a pale morph Booted Eagle flying north over our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment