Friday 15 February 2013

Out Birding at Last

The weather forecast had me rising early and heading for Pembrokeshire.  The sun was up and relatively mild and windless conditions ensued.  I started first at the Gann and was not disappointed.  As soon as I pulled up I spotted the Long-billed Dowitcher feeding by a small clump of reeds.  The sewing machine action of its bill probing was very easy to see but it was a bit distant for a great photograph. The were three pairs of Goldeneye on the pools all starting to a bit of display.



Long-billed Dowitcher on the Gann

Next I headed for Dale Airfield.  Following recent instructions I got myself really muddy walking out to the pond and then beyond.  Altogether 7 Snipe got up and then at last I found a solitary Lapland Bunting on the ground with some Skylarks. Sadly as I raised my camera the bird flew off uttering its distinctive "tiky tik tik".  There we up to 20 Ravens about some pairs indulging in their spectacular display.



Gloosy Ibis at Marloes Mere

Moving on I had my lunch at Marloes Mere but failed to find the Ring-necked Duck.  I did find the Glossy Ibis feeding in a reedy patch though and also noted 10 Shovelers, 5 Wigeon and about 20 Teal.  I finished up on the cliffs at the northern end of Broad Haven. Looking through the scope I found about 70 Common Scoters, a Great Northern Diver, 2 Red-throated Divers and a solitary Fulmar.

No comments:

Post a Comment