Tuesday 11 December 2012

A Day of Rough-legs

Grand Valley Road


I set off at 9am for the Grand Valley Road the scene of a wonderful day with a Great Grey Owl back in July.  There had been a recent sighting of a Northern Pygmy Owl in the same area and that species would be a lifer for me.  The weather was glorious with bright sunshine and a pleasant 3 degrees.  Well no sign of any owls but 2 White-tailed Deer and a Mule Deer.


Rough-legged Buzzard




This shot shows the definitive tail pattern of a Rough-legged Buzzard


Heading up to the north I came across 4 Rough-legged Buzzards (Hawks) and was fortunate that one allowed me close enough to get some decent shots.  The only other thing of note was a Coyote crossing the road on my way back for lunch.

2 comments:

  1. Nice picture of the Rough Legs - not a species I see many pictures of!

    I take it you header shot was not taken in the UK!


    I have come over from Mark Avery's blog - I run a collaborative bird photography page on my blog called "Wild Bird Wednesday" - it contains a very simple way to post a link back to your own blog. At present about 50 people post links to their own bird blog on it. It comes our very (surprise, surprise!) Wednesday and stays open for links until Friday. I would love to see links to your posts appear! So, if you have any interest this weeks WBW can be found here:

    http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/wild-bird-wednesday-22-rose-ringed.html

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne, Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stewart

      Nice to hear from you. Header shot from Jarri Forest in Western Australia.

      I am not sure I understand how to join in with your suggestion.

      Derek

      Delete