Wednesday 26 September 2012

Preflight Birding

I had to pick up some people from Beziers Airport this afternoon so spent the morning birding at Bessan.  It was slow at first but a lot of Swallows were moving south.  I did find 3 Woodlarks and then 2 Corn Buntings and a Fan-tailed Warbler.  Three Common Buzzards were hunting the area and 2 Common Swifts drifted over.  Eventually I picked up 5 Little Bustards flying in two groups which was my main reason for the visit.  Red-legged Partridges obviously had a good breeding season there because I saw a covey of 30 and another of 12.

Little Bustard in flight


I took a look behind and around Beziers Airport but only a couple of Buzzards and a Whinchat.  As the Ryanair flight arrived a large raptor got up from beside the runway.  To my amazement it was an adult Bonelli's Eagle and was so close I could see it had a full and bulging crop.  It had obviously been enjoying a meal when the aircraft disturbed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment