Saturday 25 February 2012

Right Place - Wrong Place?

I spent nearly three hours wandering around Minerve today but absolutely no sign of any Wallcreepers. There were plenty of birds though.  More Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs than recently and 2 Crag Martins which were my first of the year.  A male Blue Rock Thrush was busy going backwards and forwards to a crack in the cliffs suggesting nesting is imminent.


Redwing with ticks on its forehead

I spent some time watching birds coming to drink at the remaining water on the Gorge floor.  A male Cirl Bunting, 2 Black Redstarts, Grey Wagtail and several Song Thrushes were all present.  In addition a Redwing which seemed to be suffering with ticks on its head also spent some time drinking.



Distant Hen Harrier

Later driving through the vineyards a ringtail Hen Harrier was hunting in the distance.  Later at home I received an email from Serge telling me he saw the Wallcreepers last Wednesday in the only place which I failed to visit today.  Sod's law - back again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment