Wednesday 27 July 2011

Coastal sortie

Again in glorious weather I took a morning trip to the WWT reserve at Penclacwydd.  Lots of people but not much different with birds.  A flock of about 70 Redshanks was a reminder that waders are very much on the move now.  Smaller numbers of Black-tailed Godwits and Lapwings were also present as was a predictable Mediterranean Gull.



Redshank

Most of the beach areas were covered in people so I only dallied at Kidwelly Quay where I was able to observe the splendid new parking layout and landscaping.  Better than I imagined and best of all no parking charge.  Low tide here so apart from a flock of c80 Redshanks and a solitary Greenshank nothing else to report.  I did manage to snap a splendid male Pied Wagtail swaggering around with his brood.


Pied Wagtail


I returned home via Cilsan Bridge in the Towy Valley and was pleased to notice plenty of Sand Martins.  Up to 2,000 pairs nest in sand banks in the valley and they seem to have had a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment