Wednesday 16 February 2011

Birds of the Year

Waking up the weather looked promising but not as good as the forecast predicted.  Anyway I decided to go out and try and add some more species to my Year List.

I started at Penclacwydd where I was successful in finding a Spoonbill ( year tick N0.1) standing asleep and motionless as they often do.  He did not move for 30 minutes and showed no intention of doing so.  A Greenshank was the only other bird of note here.

I moved on to Burry Port but a vehicle on the beach meant my visit was fruitless so I carried on to Kidwelly Quay.  Usual birds were obvious but 4 Goldeneye and a Great Crested Grebe together with a few Pintail caught my eye.  The Commissioners Bridge revealed a Green Sandpiper (year tick No.2) albeit backside only as it cowered under a muddy overhang.

On to Ferryside where at last I picked up the lone Avocet (year tick No.3) feeding on the far shore amongst hundreds of Oystercaychers.

Returning home via the Towy Valley I tried in vain to find the single Pink-footed Goose but I did locate 3 Whooper Swans at Felindre.  I stopped in Dryslwyn Car Park by the feeders and fluked a Treecreeper (year tick No.4) as well as watching Long-tailed Tits feeding on peanuts.



Year Lists may sound trivial but for me they motivate me to go out and look for as many birds as possible.  Total now on 141.

No comments:

Post a Comment