Sunday 16 October 2011

A Day in Gloucestershire

Visiting my daughter Bronwen I took Saturday out to do a bit of birding.  First I went to Slimbridge but there were few wild birds of interest.  I did think the male Shovelers moulting from eclipse plumage looked kind off smart though.

Moulting male Shoveler
Looking out over the Dumbles there were flocks of Golden Plovers and Black-tailed Godwits but no White-fronted Geese or wild swans yet.


Part oif the flock of 12 Mandarins

Male Mandarin displaying

I moved on to Cannop Ponds in the Forest of Dean with the hope of finding Mandarins.  I was not disappointed as there was a flock of 12 present.  They gently floated out from under their tree roost and gave wonderful views.  The males in full plumage were indulging in territorial display.

No comments:

Post a Comment