Sunday 17 February 2013

Fishguard Harbour in the sun.

We set off with a picnic to Fishguard Harbour in the hope of seeing some good birds and in particular Black Guillemot.  The weather was wonderful and sunny as we walked out along the quay and we soon had a Razorbill in the water right below us.  We discovered two more Razorbills and a Guillemot way out in the harbour.


Razorbill in Fishguard Harbour

Continuing on the wind became very strong and very cold.  But for Beryl's swift action I would have lost my telescope and tripod into the watery depths of the harbour.  Quite soon a winter plumage Great Northern Diver appeared just off from the tower at the end of the jetty and on our way back a young Shag fished very close by.

Great Northern Diver off the jetty

Immature Shag
Last but by no means least just as we got back to the car I noticed a small grebe over in the south-west corner of the harbour.  using the telescope I could see that it was a Slavonian Grebe a quite scarce species in this area. A good day but we missed Black Guillemot.  A good reason to return soon.


Slavonian Grebe - a poor picture but good enough to confirm the identification

 The day ended on a sour note as I received the news that dear Stuart Devonald had died this morning after a short illness.  Stuart proudly told me when I last saw him in November that he had reached his 80th birthday.  He was such a good natured man and a great friend.  I have been visiting Pembrokeshire for years and Stuart was one of a handful of local birders who made me most welcome.  We shall all miss him terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment