Wednesday 18 July 2012

Whew! It's Hot

I got up early and started cutting grass and the temperature was already 24 degrees.  By 10.30am it was getting too hot so I stopped.  By noon the thermometer showed 38 degrees.  You cannot do much birding in such heat although the Woodchat Shrike was still around the garden and I did see it feeding a young bird.  Also a Nightingale churred in the hedge and an Orphean Warbler made its way through the garden.  Cirl Bunting and Turtle Dove were also noted.

Cicada close-up


It was insects that caught the eye today.  Myriads of butterflies with lots of Southern Marbled Whites, Cleopatras, Great Banded Graylings, Scarce Swallowtails and Berger's Clouded Yellows.  I also found a Hummingbird Hawk Moth and caught a glimpse of a gorgeous Broad-bordered Bee Hawk Moth.  Cicadas were bolder than usual and I managed a photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment