Tuesday 6 August 2013

Chasing a Yank

About a month ago I was just about to leave for France when mate Wendell Thomas phoned to say there was a Lesser Yellowlegs at the WWT Centre at Penclacwydd.  I had no option but to miss this North American wader but had no idea that it would stay long enough for me to see it on my return.



The Lesser Yellowlegs is the bird preening third from right

I finally got to the site this morning and Wendell assured me it was still about but I had missed another Yank a Long-billed Dowitcher.  Before too long I spotted the bird roosting and preening amongst a flock of Redshanks and Black-tailed Godwits.  It was quite a way off and I did try an unsatisfactory digiscoped shot. Other birds were good as well.  Over 600 Black-tailed Godwits gathered to roost with 3 Knot, a Dunlin, a splendid Ruff, Greenshank and a Spoonbill.  Wendell found a Bar-tailed Godwit too but I missed that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment