Thursday 8 August 2013

Branching Out

White-tailed Bumblebee - I think


I have been fascinated for some time with all the wonderful insects I come across.  Last week I invested in a new Sigma 105mm macro and stabilised lens to concentrate more on getting decent photographs.  So far I have been concentrating on Bumblebees.  There are lots on local lavender bushes and I reckon I might have seen three species so far. I still look up occasionally and today I was rewarded by a superb Hobby chasing our local Swallows.

2 comments:

  1. Nice picture Derek, but hard to tell if it is a buff-tailed or white-tailed. The workers are almost identical and only a few of the buff-tailed can be told for certain in the field. Queens and males are a little easier!

    Cheers
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie I will try and get some more. I am really enjoying this new lens.

    ReplyDelete