Friday 6 September 2013

Signs of Migration

It was cloudy this morning so I was not too surprised to find migrants around the garden.  In all I counted 4 Common Redstarts, 5 Black Redstarts, Spotted Flycatcher, 2 Pied Flycatchers, 3 Subalpine Warblers and a Blackcap.  There were also a few Red-rumped Swallows overhead and a solitary Swift.  Most Obvious were about 200 House Martins sitting on local wires.

Gathering of House Martins


House Martin.
As it got warmers 2 Short-toed Eagles soared overhead calling and I started to turn attention to insects on the ice plants.  The plants were covered in what I assume to be Honey Bees and a single Brown Argus.

Honey Bee
Brown Argus
This evening I took a drive out Saint Julieneres and immediately found a Tawny Pipit, Whinchat and a Wheatear busily feeding on grubs.

Wheatear with a nice fat grub
I returned home across the garrigue finding two more Tawny Pipits and two families of Red-legged Partridges. 

Juvenile Montagu's Harrier
The highlight was finding 2 juvenile Montagu's Harriers feeding on insects on the ground one of which was very approachable.

No comments:

Post a Comment