Thursday 19 September 2013

Feeding Birds in France

As and avid feeder of the birds in my garden in Wales I have tried to get the same results from putting out food in the garden here in France.  I have to say the results have been disappointing.  I have been trying for about three years.  Fatballs are popular with local Great Tits and Blue Tits in winter.  Once a Blackcap also fed with them.  Mixed seed attracts House Sparrows, Chaffinches and the occasional Greenfinch.  Wintering Robins also hang around with opportunistic Collared Doves but that is it.

Goldfinches on niger seed in UK


This year  I have introduced a feeder containing niger seed.  There are hordes of Goldfinches visiting the garden but since the Spring nothing whatsoever has visited that feeder.  A friend Janet tells me she has had the same negative results.  I have to ask why when this species is so regular on this food in the UK does it ignore it in France?  Something to ponder.

Gale force winds here today.  I noted 2 Pied Flycatchers and a stunning Hobby overhead.


No comments:

Post a Comment