Monday 12 September 2011

Another coastal look

Juvenile Whinchat
I had to pick up our friends Anne & Ben from Beziers airport early afternoon so I decided to go birding first.  I stopped off at Lespignan and immediately found a Red-backed Shrike, 4 Whinchats and a Green Sandpiper.



Little Stint

Moving on I stopped at Etang Pissevache and was pleased to find a largish flock of waders on the partially flooded lagoon opposite the sewerage ponds.  I counted 40 Little Stints, 10 Dunlin, 50 Ringed Plovers and 40 Kentish Plovers.  On the lagoons there were 5 Red-crested Pochard.


Ringed Plover

I continued to Etang de Vendres but the only species of note was an Osprey sitting on a post in the distance.  I finished off near Beziers airport where all I could find was 6 Common Buzzards.

Entertainment this evening was achieved by first a fire on the opposite hill quickly extinguished by local firefighters with an audience of participants from the local nudist camp.

1 comment: