Tuesday 2 April 2013

Up in the Beacons

The weather is still cold but gorgeous sunny skies with no cloud.  I decided to go up into the Brecon Beacons nearest to our house looking for birds.  I started at Palycwrt with some success.  After stopping to look at a male Stonechat I suddenly saw some Fieldfares ahead.  Moving closer there were three but also a superb female Ring Ouzel feeding on the short turf.  Sadly I could not get a photograph.

Male Stonechat
I moved on through the hills but saw little else so pushed on to the kite feeding station at Llandeussant.  I was a bit late for the feed but in time to see at least 40 Red Kites circling around the area.  I was able to get some photographs here.

Red Kite overhead
Red Kite in glorious light
I finished up on Llangadog common standing on the bridge where a pair of Goosanders were together fishing and a Dipper flew downstream.  Looking carefully around the grassy areas I found a male Wheatear and felt spring was just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment