Wednesday 30 November 2011

The Big Society in Action

It is my turn to arrange a venue etc for the Welsh Ornitholigical Society's Annual Conference.  For 2012 it is planned to hold this event in Carmarthenshire so I found myself this morning heading for the Myddfai Community Hall and Visitor Centre.  The village is close to Llandovery.



The Auditorium

Many may have seen the BBC Programme where Myddfai people with support from specific professionals managed to raise funds and build this state of the art centre.  I went this morning with enthusiasm and I was not to be disappointed.  The welcome I received from the volunteers was so warm I felt I had known them all for years.



The Restaurant

The centre has an auditorium which can seat 200 theatre style,a modern sound system etc, a restaurant and a wonderful shop.  The latter is well stocked with craft products all contributed by local people.  We even bought eggs produced by a village lad and his chickens.


The Shop

I am now really excited about our Conference and cannot wait until next November.  This whole project is a huge credit to all who have contributed their time and expertise.  It is the very epitomy of community spirit and how it should work.  I hope everyone that can will support them to ensure they are there for ever.

The Big Society is alive and well in Myddfai!

No comments:

Post a Comment