Monday 21 March 2011

Spring is here

I managed to get out today.  Of course my first visit was to Sandy Water Park to catch up with a Blue-winged Teal.  This North American wanderer was not obvious at first and I stopped to look at the juvenile Little Gull hawking like a marsh tern.  Finding Wendell and Malcolm was easy based on loud calls and size and these two quickly put me on to the duck.  The light was poor as it meant looking into the sun but it was not as bright as birds I have seen in midsummer in Canada so I reckon it is a first summer bird.



Even though news was negative from Penclacwydd and the Garganey seemed to have moved on I went there anyway.  A large roost of Black-tailed Godwits and Knot were impressive and walking round to Scott's Shed I heard plenty of Chiffchaffs and a Willow Tit singing.  A Mediterranean Gull sat amongst the hordes of Black-headed Gulls making it the second I saw there having had one fly across from the British Steel Hide.



The temperature got up to 15 degrees today and I was very overdressed.  Long may this last.

No comments:

Post a Comment